Cotton is an undeniably one of the most important renewable natural resource but the future of cotton production is vulnerable to poor environmental management, poor working conditions and unstable markets. In order to secure the sustainable future of the industry BCI: Better Cotton Initiate organization was established in 2005. BCI operates as a not-for-profit organization and exists to make global cotton production better for the people who produce it, better for the environment it grows in and better for the sector’s future. Being an important benchmark, BCI works and connects people and organizations across the cotton sector from field to store, to promote measurable and continuing improvements for the environment, farming communities and the economies of cotton-producing areas. The Better Cotton Standard System is designed to ensure the exchange of good practices, and to encourage the scaling up of collective action to establish Better Cotton as a sustainable mainstream commodity.
BCI System covers all three pillars of sustainability: environmental, social and economic, incorporates the following 6 principles representing global understanding of Better Cotton:
- Better Cotton is produced by farmers who minimize the harmful impact of crop protection practices.
- Better Cotton is produced by farmers who use water efficiently and care for the availability of water.
- Better Cotton is produced by farmers who care for the health of the soil.
- Better Cotton is produced by farmers who conserve natural habitats.
- Better Cotton is produced by farmers who care for and preserve the quality of the fiber.
- Better Cotton is produced by farmers who promote Decent Work.
Being aware of the fact that doing business must be with respect towards the environment and well-being of the people, KIVANÇ operates within the innovative and sustainable environmental approaches at all stages of its production and aims continuously increasing its Better Cotton consumption.